Tuesday, May 31, 2011

 

You smoke? You pay, by Richard Martineau


Richard Martineau
16/01/2011 05h20

My column on Monday about smoking got me a great deal of correspondence. Several readers have written to tell me that I was too compassionate to addicted to nicotine.

My taxes and fees

"If smokers want to be sick, I do not want to take my tax they seek care," wrote me Denis Côté.

Even thought the side of Georges Riquier:

"Smokers know they may die of cancer, but before dying, they will be treated in the health care system that supports me financially with my taxes," he writes.

"In addition, they will use perhaps up to the hospital as me and my family could not use it because the hospital is full ..."

Quick question, like this ...

How many of these players are regular exercise, eat no salt, avoid red meat and processed meats, are not overweight and drink alcohol moderately, as recommended by doctors?

I'm curious to know ...

Big Brother

What you want, exactly?

The government kept a file listing the lifestyle of every Quebecer to know who among us deserves to receive free health care?

You want the government starts to monitor what you eat, if you're running, how many glasses of wine you drink a day if you walk to work or if you use your car?

With a 1-800 number that would allow you to denounce your neighbors? ("My brother-in-law says he does not smoke, but I saw him the other day trying to smoke a cigarette in his court, and it seemed to be in his third beer ...")

That is the Quebec of your dreams?

Cancer dunce

Why not expand this approach to the education system, for that matter?

"You never read at home and you do not look as stupid quiz shows or reality shows? Then you'll pay your education, there is no question that takes my taxes and fees to try to teach a twit who refuses to make the intellectual effort required for its development!"

Citizens should also pass the tests of political culture to see if they are able to exercise their voting rights or not.

After all, I do not want my taxes and fees to allow the ignorant to elect the person who will guide me!

Final stage

I remind you that smokers already pay many, many taxes, and that each poff to take part in the coffers of the state.

If the taxes levied on cigarette packages were used to pay for a stadium than a billion dollars rather than fund our health system, it is not their fault, but our smart bureaucrats mismanage our money.

Moreover, if governments were also concerned that by smoking it, they would crack down against those Indians who brazenly break the law by selling cigarettes at low prices (and to minors), instead of watching them go idly by ...

Link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]