Monday, December 28, 2009

 

The war against English, by Richard Martineau


Richard Martineau
Journal de Montréal
03/12/2009 05h58

Yesterday, in Le Devoir, the lawyer Julius Gray published a load rule against those who want to strengthen the law 101.

"Overall, it is time to stop the battle against the English," said the defender of individual rights.

What? There is a battle against the English? In Quebec? Tell me where it raged, Master Gray, for me, all I see is the opposite, ie a slow, painful erosion of French in Montreal.

EXCUSE MY FRENCH

My wife visited a "nail bar" in the city center. All information on products and services are in English only, and the clerk is unable to utter a single word in French.

We will park our car. The officer is unable to speak to me in my language, and throwing a tantrum when I ask him why he did not speak a word of French while working with the public.

We go into an activity center for children with our 20 month old son. All rhymes distributed during the workshop are English and 80% of the indications given by the instructor are in the language of Mordecai.

EN FRANCAIS ONLY

My wife points to a yoga class. The teacher does not speak a word of French, even if 75% of these people are speaking.

Last week, Montrealers were invited to an exhibition of hip young designers. Name of the event? The Smart Design Mart, "a unique platform comprised of a variety of talented young designers," said (in Klingon?) the invitation.

The website is unilingual English.

Two weeks ago, I went to a fundraising event for the benefit of a support organization for troubled youth. The indications were in English only and the organizers did not speak a word of French.

I go to a Italian restaurant: the host is unable to speak to me in my language. I go to a restaurant in Chinatown: unable to get served in my language.

I go to a furniture shop Service in English only.

All this in a few days.

A war against English, Master Gray? Really?

QUEBEC IS RACIST!

Have you read the survey that we published on the world of work in Montreal? You are unilingual English: you experience no problem getting a job. You are unilingual French: they refuse to hire you because you do not speak English.

Before yesterday, my wife enrolled in a class of stationary bike in a gym. The teacher speaks only English, even if 12 customers are speaking. My wife goes to see the girl at the front desk to complain about: the girl is a unilingual anglophone.

Back at home, my wife tells this story on Twitter.

Lesley Chesterman, a journalist for The Gazette, reads his entry and becomes crazy.

"I stopped following a Quebec media person on Twitter Because of all her Anglo bashing," she writes.

Then: "It's the only thing I hate about living in this province. It's racist and it drives me crazy. I'm tired!"

It is racist, now want to be served in French? Well.

NO PROBLEM

Meanwhile, Andre Pratte La Presse wrote that "the erosion of French in Montreal is a figment of the imagination, and Julius Gray says the time has come" to stop the battle against the English. " You're joking, or what?

Nothing

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]