Wednesday, October 22, 2008

 

Draw me a flag, by Richard Martineau

Richard Martineau
Journal de Montréal
18/10/2008 06h57


Discussion in the car the other day with one of my daughters. "So you like it, the course of ethics and religious culture?"

-Oh yes, I love it. The teacher is super dynamic ...

-And what are you doing in this course?

-This week, we will redesign the flag of Quebec. The professor said he was more representative of the new reality because there is a cross over. We must create one that would better reflect the Quebec of today ... "

ERASE THE PAST

I am a man open. I think that immigration is an asset. I hope my children will be more informed about other religions and other cultures than I was at their age.

But when I hear things like that (ie we should redesign the Quebec flag on the pretext that it contains, oh sacrilege, a cross), I want to scream.

Yes, we must open ourselves to others. But why this opening should absolutely go through an erasing itself?

We can not and RECEIVE at the same time? We must at all costs j'enlève the family photos that decorate the walls of my room when I get people in my house?

AND THE OTHER?

The Algerian flag and the flag of Turkey contain a crescent representing the path that must travel a Muslim during his life to get to paradise.

The Palestinian flag has a red triangle symbolizes the Hashemite house of Muhammad.

The flag of Israel has a Star of David. The flag of Saudi Arabia is green (color of Islam). The flag of Iraq is flanked by the slogan "Allah Akbar" (God is great). The flag of Afghanistan contains the drawing of a mosque, etc..

Demand there for these people to redesign their flag because he no longer represents the "new reality"?

ENJOY THE DIVERSITY!

Yes, Quebec has changed. Yes, there are people of all religions.

Still, Quebec is still very strong and majority Catholic. When we think in Quebec, is believed to Catholicism, not Islam or Buddhism, hell!

If I say "Italy", you see what you? Couscous or pasta? Priests or imams?

And if I say "Saudi Arabia", what images do you have in mind? Images of churches and cathedrals, or pictures of mosques?

That's not the idea behind the concept of cultural diversity: protect the existence of various cultures throughout the world?

If there is to protect Zulu culture and the pygmies, why could we not also protect Quebec culture?

Unless you tell me it does not exist. It is a big catch-all without identity and it's not worth being preserved ...

THE SHAME OF ITSELF

That's what annoys me gnangnan in multiculturalism: the idea that only other crops worth protected.

That we must stop being so others can feel exist.

The theory that past and future are contradictory, we can embrace both at the same time.

You can not have both branches and roots.

Can not find it absurd you?

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]